Monday, February 1, 2016

4. Bon Iver - 'Bon Iver'


Number 4!
I’m listening to the album because Fern recommended it, and then I saw the artwork and thought it would be perfect for this blog!

The image on the cover is interesting. Lots of layers going on! Like, literal layers.
After doing about 40 seconds of research I found the artist who made the cover, and it looks like he’s used a couple of different canvases, torn them up a bit, merged bits together, and then stuck  things on it. There’s little model trees in the bottom right, with a small piece of ‘dirt’ underneath them, Then cut outs of trees in the bottom left, along with what looks like polystyrene bits.

Needless to say, it’s certainly interesting!


Likewise for the music.

Starting the album, ‘Perth’.
It’s opening of beautiful guitar really sets the tone. It’s really lightly picked, and is just beautiful. They could’ve just made it 3 minutes of that and it would automatically be one of my favourite songs ever. It’s very Zander Zon, a YouTuber I watch. He plays bass, but in a way you shouldn’t play bass. He’s put thinner strings on it, and picks and hammers the strings to create absolutely beautiful music. If you haven’t heard of him, go check him out.
That’s then followed by a very angelic cry, and then drums march in, and vocals come in quickly after. The crying angels certainly add to the song, and perfectly contrast the thumping drums, which are played as if they could belong in a thrash metal song, but it works in this! I don’t even know what genre to class it as…..ambient folk metal? The album’s got a lot of held guitar notes, and wailing (ambient) along with a really relaxed vocal, violin and guitar (folk), which is then joined by quite heavy handed fast drumming (System of a Down).
“I’m tearing up, across your face. Move dust through the light to fide your name. It’s something fane, this is not a place, not yet awake, I’m raised of make. Still alive who you love.”


Minnesota, WI’ is next up. I think this is meant to be ‘Minnesota, Wisconsin’. I don’t know what it looks like there, but if I close my eyes and listen to this…it doesn’t really help. Like, I can imagine it in a wood somewhere. But that’s because I prefer ‘woodland’ songs more than any other type of song. I think it’d be good to, instead of giving your song a genre, to say “close your eyes and think of a trickling stream. Then think of the music playing in the background to that stream as if you’re in a film. Yeah, that’s what I sound like, minus the stream.” Because nowadays, there’s so many different types of genres, and a number of them describe songs which are completely different!
‘Pop’ is one of the culprits. Adele is pop. Ed Sheeran is pop. Carrie Underwood, Nelly, Red Hot Chili Peppers, James Blunt, Eminem, Daft Punk. All ‘pop’. But ‘pop’ by itself isn’t a genre. It stands for ‘Popular Music’. So ANYTHING could be pop. But in those that I just mentioned, there’s country, rock, r&b, electronica, hip-hop, soul, folk. But then they’re not just those, it’s soft-rock, rock-folk, blue-eyed-soul, etc.
But if Carrie Underwood just said “close your eyes and imagine you’re a man sitting in a busy bar in Texas, and then a woman dressed a lot like Daisy Duke came up to you, punched you in the face, stole your truck, went for a joy-ride and then came back to apologise and have her way with you Then yeah, that’s what my music sounds like.” Or if RHCP said “Imagine you’re surfing a shark, grinding along the Golden Gate Bridge, and riding a giant dragonfly” (+4 points for those who got that reference), then the world would be a lot more artistic. Because musicians would want to paint a vivid picture in the listeners head.
With Bon Iver, it’s all very natural – trees, rivers, meadows. All with an amount of sun rays that would leave Michael Bay in the beautiful sun-caught dust.
I just realised I’ve been going on and haven’t actually said anything about this song.
Well, close your eyes and imagine running though the glowing forest in Avatar.
“You know it won’t beseech you, we’re laying in an open field. I will let you grow, no need to notice.”


Next song – ‘Holocene’.
I think I’ve heard this one before. A TV programme I used to watch; ‘Chuck’ had a couple of Bon Iver songs in the soundtrack. It actually had the best soundtrack I’ve ever heard. Mostly unknown artists, who had their big break by having their songs played on the show. (Damn, I think I’m gonna have to watch it again…. All 5 seasons – 91 episodes – 3,800 minutes (ish). Ok, so, I’ve watched it from start to finish 3 times….but once more can’t hurt!).
I don’t think Bon Iver was actually very well known when one of their songs first featured on Chuck. Their song ‘Skinny Love’ (not on this album) was played in the 2nd season which aired in 2008 (I’m using Google for most of this, I’m not THAT much of a nerd.) – Bon Iver released their first album in 2007, which included ‘Skinny Love’.
This song though, is just a beautiful. Not the needle, nor the thread, the lost decree. Saying nothing, that's enough for me.”
It starts with just guitar, and then the vocals come in. His voice is so nice to listen to. I could never sing like that, and I’ve never heard anyone sing like that – and that’s so nice! It’s original. Beautiful. Melodic, and it works!
It’s then followed by marching drums. I think they like that drumming style – this is the second song to have them in so far, and we’re only on the third song! It’s a snare march drumming pattern – almost a drum roll, but not as straight – they put in a few little off beats and skip a beat.


‘Towers’ comes in fourth. This is yet another one that I feel I’ve heard before, but can’t be sure!
“For the love, comes the burning young, from the liver, sweating through your tongue. Well, you're standing on my sternum don't you climb down, darling. Oh, the sermons are the first to rest. Smoke on Sundays when you're drunk and dressed. Out the hollows where the swallow nests
I feel like Bon Iver are a lot like The Dead Weather…..(not a sentence used very often, and I don’t think they’ll be putting it as a quote on their next album cover.) I just remember listening to The Dead Weather, and not knowing what they’re singing about, then learning that they usually make the songs up as they go. I just feel that Bon Iver either do a similar thing, or they’re very into their metaphors.
Half the lyrics seem to not make a lot of sense, and the other half I don’t know if they’re telling a story or implying something else. It’s all very confusing – and yet, I love it!
It adds some kind of mystery, and encryption. I can sense you reading this and being like “what the hell is he on about?” Well – I don’t even know anymore.
The instrumentation on this track is similar to the previous ones, with more marching drums, but this time there’s what sounds like a slide guitar and a violin or 2. Starting off very laid back and quiet, then eventually having everyone play at once to really build the song at the end.


Half way! Next is ‘Michicant’.
Similar to another place name – Michigan.
It starts with a strange phone-like diddle. That’s the only way I can explain it. Like when your phones running low on battery and it gives you that little tune. It’s like that – and that’s what I thought it was until I played the song again and heard it once more.
The song then goes quiet for a couple of seconds and then the vocals come in. Not in the same key or timing as the diddle – so no idea why that’s there!
Throughout the song they have keyboard playing, and a slow drum beat, which is then echoed so it carries on a bit longer.
Then half way through, it sounds like it’s ending, but they bring out the organ for the middle eight. It then suddenly goes back to the same instrumentation and speed it was previously at.
Searching for an inner clout, may not take another bout. Honey in the hale could fill the pales, of loving less with vain”.

It’s yet another absolutely beautiful song, which I could easily fall asleep listening to! It’s in no way aggressive – which is a drastic change from the metal/blues/rock album I was listening to last time!


Next up – ‘Hinnom, TX’
In the first of light, past the Noachide, bodies wrapped in white.”
To me, that immediately tells me this song is a prayer song. That’s all I know, because I'm not religious – now, that doesn’t mean I’m an atheist. I don’t think there’s a one God who made the universe and controls everything. But I don’t think there isn’t a larger deity, I just don’t think they control anything. They don’t cause earthquakes or make people happy or sad. They’re just there. It’s like the game ‘Black & White’ – you play as a God, and can either make your humans happy by giving them rain for crops to grow, or stop volcanoes from erupting. Or you can screw them over with plagues and other nasty things, like making volcanoes erupt. But, you could also just sit there with the game running, and let them get on with their lives. Go make a sandwich. Watch an episode or 7 of Chuck. Play another game – whatever.
But if something bad happens – it wasn’t my fault. It was just natural, and I didn’t cause or prevent it. It’s the same if something good happens. But the tiny electronic humans could blame me for the bad things because I didn’t stop them, even though I wasn’t actually playing. Or they could praise me for the good things….even though I wasn’t playing.
But I’m not going to talk about religion anymore because it’s a VERY touchy subject. It’s similar to talking to a vegan about being pescatarian. But to my knowledge, no wars have started because someone eats salmon. Just sayin’.
Back to the song!
This is a really happy sounding song! It has a keyboard which sounds a bit like the Clangers would if they could sing. Along with the vocals, which sings the main lines, and is then followed by back vocals singing other lines in between. But for once, the main vocals is actually quite low – like, I could sing this! Then the backing vocals are ludicrously high. But it works really well! Kinda reminds me of ‘Video Killed the Radio Star’. They’re nothing alike, it just clicked in my head. If you haven’t realised by now, I have a weird brain.
Sand, it starts to steal, dirt and ice imbed in cheeks, in the potter's field”.


Next – ‘Wash.’
That’s right, this song title has a full stop at the end. Wash..
I feel like I need to put another full stop after it – Microsoft Word doesn’t like it, but that’s what it is! Can’t destroy creativity by ignoring the full stop. It’s just not right.
“I’m growing like the quickening hues, I’m telling darkness from lines on you.”
This song starts off with just piano playing followed by vocals. I feel like that’s a similar beginning to most songs on this album. I keep imagining the band getting together to write a new song and being like; “ok guys, 1. Have 1 of the instruments play for a bit to begin with, then B. Vocals come in. Three. Bring in another instrument to flesh it out a bit, IV. Gradually build towards the end of the song. Done! Right – lyrics…”
“We’re sewing up through the latchet greens. Un-peel keenness, honey, bean for bean.”
In past songs, I could mostly make out what they were singing, and if I missed a word, it was normally easy to work it out. But with this, I had to look the lyrics up. No idea if they’re correct – would be interesting if they weren’t! I can make out about 1/10th of the words, and all the others I hear as other words that shouldn’t work in that sentence, but then I look it up and BAM – I was right. But it makes no sense!
“Same white pillar tone as with the bone street sand is thrown where she stashed us at.”
Any songwriters care to translate?
Don’t get me wrong, the strange lyrics just add to the charm! They make you think about what the words mean, and I really like that. It’s a really artistic way to write.


Numero 8: ‘Calgary’.
This is a really nice. It’s probably the most ‘rocky’ song of the album towards the end. With its overdrived guitar, but it’s still not rock – it’s like when a school band plays at assembly and the guitarist is in full rockstar mode and hits the overdrive button – it doesn’t really do anything, just make the guitar sound grungy and some people might cheer – it doesn’t really need it, but what the heck, hit that button!
But before that happens, this song is just keyboard and vocals, then drums come in (no marching this time! Just a straight beat with a few tom hits thrown in for good measure).
“Hair, old, long along your neck onto your shoulder blades. Always keep that message taped cross your breasts you won’t erase.”
This is yet another example of strange lyrics that I can’t decipher. Not only because of his vocals, but because the lyrics are very peculiar and tell a story that I can’t follow.  


Second to last – ‘Lisbon, OH’
Am I the only person who read that as ‘Lisbon, OH! :D’? Like shouting OH! As if you’d remembered something? Anyone? No?
Of course, it means Lisbon, Ohio – which is like when you see a friend you didn’t expect to see, and then remembered something. “Oh hi! Oh!” My apologies to anyone from Ohio – but honestly, you must have fun saying it!
This is a really short song (don’t know what that’s saying about people from Lisbon…but that’s between them and Bon Iver.) It’s only 1 ½ minutes, and doesn’t have any lyrics. It’s just keyboard and beeps. Reminds me a lot of an album that I’ve been listening to – it’s by my good friend Al Lindsay, and it’s the soundtrack to a game called RimWorld. It’s all very ‘space-y’ music, with similar sounds to this track. I don’t know if they just needed to fill a slot to make it to 10 songs, but it’s a nice little instrumental.


And last but no means least: ‘Beth/Rest’
When this song started I heard ‘Horizons’ by The Staves, then immediately sung “It’s a right off!” before realising it’s Bon Iver.
I ain't living in the dark no more. It's not a promise, I'm just gonna call it
This is a good finishing song if I couldn’t say anymore – it includes all previously used instruments, even with a bit of overdrived guitar (button only pushed down half way this time).
It is steep it is stone, such recovery. From the daily press, the deepest nest in keeper's keep
The vocals have been put through a filter, which makes him sound like he’s singing through a fan. Unless he’s actually singing through a fan! That’d be cool ;)  ba dum tss!
The song actually sounds out of its time. It has an 80s vibe to it. Can’t explain why, or think of any songs like it. But it does. (yeah…I don’t expect the award for best blogger “He’s funny, but lacks knowledge of anything he’s talking about”)
“All the news at the door. Such a revelry. Well, it's hocked inside of everything you said to me




Done!



Overall, I really enjoyed this album – it’s laid back. The kind of stuff I could easily fall asleep listening to – not that it’s boring! Not at all. It’s relaxing, beautiful and enchanting – I’ll definitely be keeping it on my iPod, and might even get a couple of their other albums. (I also just realised that I might have referred to Bon Iver as ‘he’ – it just seems like a cool name, but no – it’s the name of the band – so, sorry if I did!)
I really like the instrumentation – guitar, keyboard, drums – all behind the amazing vocals.
Definitely one to listen to if you haven’t already. I’d recommend ‘Holocene’, and if you want to move beyond this album; ‘Skinny Love’.

Do you agree/disagree with anything I said? Like / dislike the review? Any constructive criticisms? Please leave a comment below! Would love to hear from you. Also, if you have any recommendations of albums I should listen to and review (as long as the artwork is awesome), let me know.

Thanks for reading, keep tuned for the next blog.
I’ll be reviewing ‘Elements’ by Ludovico Einaudi

Don’t forget to check out my website, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube below.
I’m doing these blogs alongside my better half; Fern Teather – she is listening to a new albums (doesn’t matter about the artwork, she’s trying to expand her musical knowledge and listen to new artists!). She’s also keeping a blog, and it’s nowhere near as long as this one, so go give it a read!!
Check it out here: 52-albums.blogspot.com

Bonne nuit!
Sam




No comments:

Post a Comment