Monday, February 8, 2016

5. Ludovico Einaudi – ‘Elements’

Hello February!
(I was listening to an interesting discussion on the radio the other day about how people say ‘February’ – well, I say Feb-yury…)
I hope everyone has had a pleasant 2016 so far, and aren’t too bored of these blogs yet – only 47 more to go!

I’ve had a good 2016, apart from this week, because I’ve had a stinking cold, and it’s had me bed ridden. But every cloud has its silver lining – because that has allowed me to listen to this album for an entire week!
A couple of weeks ago I saw this album in HMV (other music shops avail….actually, are there?!), anyway, I saw it and immediately got it. I’ve heard Ludovico Einaudi in the past, and have his other 2 albums – and honest to God, they’re 2 of my top 10 albums.
They’re my ‘tired of hearing drums’ albums. It’s just piano. Just one man and a grand piano. Sometimes a little cello or violin might creep in, but it’s just very simple piano.
Strangely, the stuff he plays doesn’t sound very complicated – but that’s the beauty of it. It’s simple, but still manages to pack a huge amount of emotion.
And his new albums just as good!



The artwork is great! I spent a good 15 minutes staring at it, following the lines, making out the shapes and letters and trees and stuff!
He drew it all himself, so it must have a meaning personally. But to an outsider it looks like the scribblings of a mad-man. Though, very enchanting scribbles. It looks like a world map from some indie game that the developer drew himself to add that little quirky touch, or something you’d see on Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones.
But the important thing is it works really well with the music! I could imagine listening to this album, and all the illustrations start moving around the page – the trees swaying in the wind, following the music, then little animals start to appear and run around, chasing each other. Kinda reminds me of ‘Don’t Starve’ – a game set in a wooded area, and the trees and grass move together. The worlds full of cute little animals as well as scary as F big animals that will kill and eat your little man as you try to run around collecting berries.
The music probably wouldn’t work with the game too well though…It’s a lot more civilised!


Kicking off the album is ‘Petricor’.
This starts off as classic Einaudi – just piano playing simple notes. But then a violin joins in followed closely by a cello – and it gave me chills.
Sitting in silence with this turned up in both ears really adds to the whole experience. While the piano is playing the same 8 notes over and over, the violin and cello are dancing around in the foreground – this isn’t just music like the other albums I’ve listened to so far. This is art. It’s emotion. It’s causing me to think a lot deeper than I have in past reviews. It’s making me think I won’t be able to make this blog as funny as past ones!
Once the song gets moving the piano does too, getting more complex, and building until the song is in full swing and 10x louder than it started.
As for the title – I don’t know what it means, but Einaudi, being Italian, titles most of his songs in his native language. Although, even with the help of Google Translate (other translating tools are available) I still don’t know what it stands for!
This is a brilliant way to start the album – not with a fizz, but with an explosion of emotions!


Next up – ‘Night’
This one isn’t classic Einaudi. It starts off with what sounds like an electronic piano – kinda like a fancy doorbell. Muted, rhythmic, subtle. It’s then accompanied by proper piano.
You know how you can listen to a song, and without knowing who sung it, you can just tell because of their style and voice. It’s like that with Einaudi. It could be anyone playing piano, but it’s played in his style, with his feel. Even with other instruments layered on top, the chord changes, speed and feel of the songs are just shouting Einaudi. It’s nice that he hasn’t changed, he’s evolved and expanded – but the music is still very much his.
For instance, in this song, the electronic doorbell keeps going throughout, with a string orchestra playing over the top of that and the piano. There’s a few violins, cellos, double basses, god knows what else! But it sounds epic!
If I was to go back to my previous review and close my eyes and explain the genre that way, I’d say “Imagine you’re looking up at the night sky, but it’s not the sky we see – this one is completely black, and always has been. Then suddenly stars start to form. Not just appear – form. They come exploding into life in an array of celestial fireworks that fill the once black sky with light and colour. Right up until our Sun is formed. Filling the world with light.” – see what I mean. I would never have been able to come up with something as poetic as that if I wasn’t listening to Ludovico Einaudi!
It’s just something that comes with listening to his music!


Song #3: ‘Drop’.
This has a very chilling start – very slow single notes. Followed by plucked violin. It’s all very creepy sounds. But still manages to be beautiful I can imagine this being the music to a scene in a film where someone is getting drunk at home on their own, being very violent, trashing the place. But the scene has no sound, and it’s just this music.
It just has that ‘quiet destructiveness’ about it. Like how there’s some songs that could easily play over the top of a nuclear bomb going off, and turn it into something beautiful and almost graceful. It’s adding a new dimension to the scene. Instead of the song being ‘Here Comes the Boom’ – which would be funny, but this album is very serious. After all, Einaudi is one of, if not THE biggest classical artist alive today. He’s sold millions of CDs, done world tours. And I bet, some of you reading this right now have never heard of him.
Search for ‘Nuvole Bianche’ – it’s off one of his most well known albums, and is the first song I heard of his. I remember listening to it over and over again until realising that he probably has other stuff just as good, so went and bought the album. Quickly followed by buying another one. (A different one – not the same one….I like him, but not so much that I’d buy the same album twice. Unless I lost it, then I’d buy it again. But I bought it through iTunes, so you can’t lose it….even if I deleted it I could contact Apple and ask them to kindly let me redownload it. And I’d definitely go through all that to listen to him again!
That song was the most beautiful song I’d ever heard – and I wasn’t young, that was about 4 or 5 years ago. I’d been listening to music all my life, and after 18 years of songs, I still hadn’t heard anything as beautiful as that.


Next up – ‘Four Dimensions’.
Now, I’ve been playing Lego Dimensions a lot recently after my wonderful girlfriend bought it for me for Christmas (and the fact I love Lego and it makes me very happy to run around the Land of Oz as Gandalf while shooting flying monkeys with the Batmobile), and this song instantly made me want to play it now – but I will try to resolve the temptation and continue with the review!
It appears that most of these tracks start with just piano – which takes me back to the 2 previous albums I have of his. Which are mostly just piano. This album however has introduced more instruments – it’s now gone from being a ‘live lounge’ set-up to an ‘opera-house’ set-up. Bigger stage. Big orchestra behind him.
But it’s still just 1 man sitting behind his shiny black piano playing songs he wrote while he has his eyes closed, and just feeling the music instead of reading it.
This song has that feeling. It’s not a duet between a piano and violin – it’s a piano accompanied by a string quartet. It’s more of an opera than a gig.


Coming in 5th is the album title track – ‘Elements’.
This starts off like an ancient arcade game – sort of like an organ mixed with a piano. If it was slightly 8-bit, it’d fit perfectly! After a while though, the violins join in.
Like the other songs on this album, this one is 6 minutes long. It’s a VERY long album – a total of just over 100 minutes. Which for 15 tracks, which are usually about 60 minutes, is rather impressive! And because the songs are all very similar (you might see a pattern emerging in this review – ‘starts with just piano, and oh – there’s the violin’) – but each song has it’s very own personality and they all feel different.
This song I think might be an exception – it’s quite repetitive. The same couple of arcade-esk notes played over and over in succession.
Something that also makes the songs seem somewhat the same and repetitive is the lack of lyrics or any kind of vocals. It’s all purely instrumental, and only 3 or 4 instruments at any one time – mostly only 1 – piano. But then if I was a world class pianist, I’d absolutely have most of my album just piano.
(This is a secret, so if you’re one of the few people who read my reviews and actually know me, this is for you!) I’ve actually been thinking of releasing my own album, and because percussion is what I play, and what I enjoy playing, the album would be very drum and rhythm heavy. Because I’m not a good guitarist or singer, so wouldn’t want much, if any of that on the album. I’d just pay others…if I had the money! Of course it’s all just a concept at the moment as I still need to actually WRITE the music and work out how to create songs. But in due course, maybe one day I will have my very own album! :o


Next song – ‘Whirling Winds’
Starting off with quite a creepy piece of piano playing. Makes me feel cold and a bit like I should be in a haunted house with cheesy eerie squeaks and rattles. This goes on for over half the song (and bearing in mind the song is 6 minutes long, it basically goes on for the length of a normal song) until it picks up a bit and goes into triplets on the piano – this I feel is when the music changes from walking around the spooky house to having a Fantasia feel to it, when the room is filling with water – I can imagine Mr Mouse running around trying to scoop it all up in buckets, but being betrayed by the angry mops. It even has a similar ending to the actual song over that scene in the film, where the pianist collapses on the piano in a melodic thud – hitting a bunch of keys at the same time.


Twice’ is next up – the title of this immediately made me think of the aforementioned ‘Nuvelo Bianche’ because the whole song is pretty much played twice through in the one recording. Only with a couple of changes.
But that’s something that makes it special – you think it’s ended and just playing from the start again, but it’s actually just got to the half way point.
This song however, doesn’t play round Twice. Just the once.
It start like the other songs – just piano, but with what sounds a bit like an udu in the background – it’s traditionally a clay pot that you can fill with water, and play by tapping the sides and playing surfaces as well as hitting a hole in the body to create a whooob-ing sound. It’s a beautiful instrument – I actually have a modern one made from fibreglass (which is why I think it’s an udu, or something similar in the recording).
There sounds like a lot of subtle noises are happening in the background – including dripping. Which is a noise not used very often in music! But it works really well with this kind of music. It might be on an actual instrument, in which case I want one. But even so – it’s just a nice little addition.


ABC’ is next – and I feel like I’ve heard this song before on one of his other albums. But it could be possible that it’s just the same chords as another one of his songs. Because after writing 100 songs, it’s difficult to not use the same chord sequence. I know songwriters who use the same chords all the time – it’s just preference! Personally, I like A-minor. It’s the old work boot of the chord world. It might be a bit over used, but it’s simple and reliable!
ABC is the shortest song on the album, at a measly 3 minutes! Which caught me out a bit, and I actually got half way through the next song before I realised it had finished – I just thought Einaudi really changed it up half way through.
But alas, this song, quite like A-minor, is simple and reliable – it’s just piano. Nothing else – short and sweet.


The next song – ‘Numbers’, sounds like it came right out of Ocarina of Time. It’s very beautiful and picturesque, which is quite a strange way to describe a song. But it’s very happy and ‘sunny’ – going back to my patented genre describing technique – close your eyes and imagine running through a grass meadow full of flowers on a beautiful sunny day. Dandelion seeds floating all around you. And the whole time you’re smiling from ear to ear because you’re so damn happy!.....and then you run into a bell.
It eventually builds to quite an epic song – it really builds towards the end, with the string section taking over and a timpani thumping along.
So far, this is my favourite song off this album – it’s just full of joy and celebration! And, strangely, not a lot of piano. It starts off with really nice piano – I could actually listen to that little tune for the length of a full song, but then from the half way mark it sounds like a glockenspiel replaces it.
There’s also a few little bells in there too, which make it even happier! (and one big one which ends the song….which also ends your joyful run through the meadows. Unharmed, of course!).


‘Mountain’ is the next hill we have to climb (ba dum tss! Getting good at these!).
I think this song teams up with Numbers really nicely. It’s a lot darker and colder – but they reflect each other beautifully.
This is another song which is just piano the whole way through – apart from a tiny bit of ambient noise (just held keyboard notes as an underlay), and that really adds to it. It thickens the sound and makes it more interesting. It’s the cornstarch to the runny gravy. The whisk to the cream. The head-height coffee table to the infant’s head.
This is one of the longest songs on the album, at 6:33 – but the time passes by so quickly – or it does for me at least! It is also full of emotions. Mostly of sadness and depression, through the notes played. Also with the title being ‘Mountain’ – it might be about the mountain you have to climb to conquer those emotions. But that’s a massive guess from me, because the lack of lyrics makes it hard to decipher what the writer was thinking about when they wrote that particular track. It also means I can’t quote any lyrics like I have been doing in my reviews.
I could try and find the piano chords, and write those.
Unfortunately, there’s no chords online for any of these songs. But I did find them for my favourite song – Nuvelo Bianche. The chords are Em, C/E, G, D/F#. Though I think that’s on guitar. But you get the idea – it doesn’t work as well.


In at number 11, ‘Logos’.
This is again, very similar to a couple of past tracks. But this time, it’s similar to tracks on this album.
Starting with quiet piano, which is then joined by a weird deep ‘wubbing’ sound. Not quite dubstep – I don’t think that’s Einaudi’s style, but it’s too deep for cello or even double bass.
After a while the wubbing stops, and the string section comes in again, perfectly harmonising with the piano. Then suddenly, what’s that I hear? Drums? In a Ludovico Einaudi song?! Yes, ok, it’s not a full kit, but there’s definitely orchestral drums in there – helping the sound build more and more until it’s about 10x louder than it was at the beginning, but keeping the same chord progression.
This is definitely the most dynamic song. Going from just piano on its own, then joined by subtle dubstep, followed by a string quartet, then back down to just piano, strings, then right up to an orchestra. Including drums. The end actually reminds me a bit of the band Stateless – it’s atmospheric and almost tribal. You’ll find out more about Stateless at some point when I review one of their albums.


Next is ‘Song for Gavin’ – which is a song written for a bloke called Gavin...I presume.
It’s yet again a short one, in at just over 3 minutes.
This one however, unlike any of the other songs, I could hear being written as an actual song, with lyrics and everything! Although, as I mentioned previously, none of these songs have lyrics on. So it’s up to me to imagine what they’d be. I won’t make any up. It would be funny to, and might have got some cheap laughs. But if this song is written about someone who passed away or for someone dear to Einaudi, I don’t want to take from that. Because this song is beautiful, and it doesn’t need any stupid made up lyrics.
I think piano is the only instrument that can actually sound like a voice. It can be made to sound like an angelic vocalist singing with all their emotion, and can sometimes actually be more impacting that if there was any lyrics being sung.


The next song – almost there – is ‘Drop Variation’.
For those of you with a sharp eye and good memory, you might remember a song from earlier in the review called ‘Drop’ – well, this is a variation on it! Hence the title! It seems like it’s just a stripped back version of it. Starting with piano on its own, though this one continues as it started – staying with piano, and only piano throughout the entire song – which is now shorter than the un-variated one. Coming in at a generally normal time of 3 ½ minutes.
I honestly don’t see how music like this isn’t more popular that charts music, which is just 3 ½ minutes of electronic sounds pinched from another song, and then with the same 13 words repeated over and over again. It probably took a team of people 2 hours to write that song from start to finish. Whereas Einaudi probably takes months working on 1 piece just to get it perfect. On 1 instrument, no prerecorded jargon. 1 man, 1 piano. 1 dream. (Too much?)
It just annoys me when people like Kanye West are getting number ones because they have enough money to pay other people to write their songs, and then there’s songwriters all around the world who can’t even get their songs heard because the big names are stealing all the limelight that they don’t need or deserve. I will admit, I don’t mean everyone in the charts – to be honest, most of them are great! But there’s a select few who really need to be replaced by someone with actual talent.
I just watched the Superbowl half time show with Beyonce and Bruno Mars (not with them. They were performing – I was sitting in my dark office on my own). After watching them 2 perform, it’s obvious that they have talent and a love for what they do. But thinking back to Kanye West at Glastonbury ‘singing’ Bohemian Rhapsody, it makes me hate the music industry. Did you know Kanye West has his own clothing line? Yeah, he ‘designed’ (aka found) a jumper. Just a standard jumper, and then torn some holes in it, and then is selling it for £1,500! Even a homeless person would throw it away. I’m tempted to start up my own knock off company, buy jumpers from charity shops for 50p, tear even more holes in them, and sell them for £500.
Unfortunately, as they say, any publicity is good publicity. So I think that means now I’ve moaned about Kanye West and his ‘fashion’ – you all have to go and buy one of his jumpers. I think that’s how it works, I might be wrong though.
(I’m also looking forward to someone buying one of Kanyes jumpers and patching the holes up, then sending him a photo of it on Twitter saying they fixed his design problem.)


Moving on….


Second to last – ‘Elements Variation’
Yet another variation on a song previously on this album. Just like the last song, this is also just piano. It’s kind of like an acoustic version of it – you know how on some special edition albums you get the original track and then an acoustic version of it too – this is like that.
And it sounds just as good! This is more like the Einaudi I’m used to hearing – and it’s great!


Finally, yet another variation – ‘Twice Variation’.
It’s the same story again – a stripped back version of a song previously on the album. But in this version, they’ve fixed the plumbing in the background.


And on that note – I think it’s done!
The last 3 were very short because I’d summed up what I felt about the song previously, and those 3 were just cut back versions.
I’ve really enjoyed listening to this album – Ludovico Einaudi is one of my favourite musicians, and definitely my favourite classical musician (and not just because he’s the only classical musician I listen to!)
I will definitely continue to listen to this album in the future, alongside the other 2 I have of his.
As for the review, I know I kept using the word ‘beautiful’ throughout – but that word sums it up perfectly. It’s not amazing because it’s quite simple in theory. Nor is it wonderful, for the same reason.
It’s like a flower or a rainy summers day. It’s simple, underrated, over-seen. But all in all - just absolutely beautiful!


Do you agree/disagree with anything I said? Like / dislike the review? Any constructive criticisms? Please leave a comment below! Would love to hear from you. Also, if you have any recommendations of albums I should listen to and review (as long as the artwork is awesome), let me know.

Thanks for reading, keep tuned for the next blog.
I will be reviewing ‘Who Killed The Zutons’ – The Zutons

Don’t forget to check out my website, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube below.
I’m doing these blogs alongside my better half; Fern Teather – she is listening to a new albums (doesn’t matter about the artwork, she’s trying to expand her musical knowledge and listen to new artists!). She’s also keeping a blog, and it’s nowhere near as long as this one, so go give it a read!!
Check it out here: 52-albums.blogspot.com

Arrivederci!
Sam



No comments:

Post a Comment